On May 24-25, a two-day working meeting “State of opioid substitution therapy in Ukraine, urgent tasks for its further development and improvement of services for patients” took place in Kyiv. Project managers in the field of medical and psychosocial support for patients of SMT, as well as representatives of state authorities: “Center for Public Health of the Ministry of Health of Ukraine” Gritsenko T., State Service, Stasiuk I. of Ukraine Service for Medication and Drug Control and representatives of pharmaceutical companies took part in this meeting.
“Hope and Trust” Foundation was presented by the project manager of the National Hotline on Drug Dependence and OST issues, Serhiy Botvin.
Among the main news is the following:
– as of May 1, 2017, opioid substitution therapy in Ukraine has already received over 9,600 people who use drugs on the base of 178 treatment sites in 25 regions of Ukraine. Leaders for the number of patients: Kyiv, Poltava, Dnipropetrovsk and Mykolaiv regions (500-700 people). Anti leader: Zakarpathian region (less than 50 people). There are about 82% of men and 18% of women.
Reference: In general, OST is being implemented in 80 countries, including all EU countries. As an indicator of the success of the program, a country such as Vietnam were taken as example, where there are currently 55,000 patients and a program has been launched since 2007. What prevents Ukraine from achieving such indicators?
– according to the results of the tender organized and conducted by the international non-profit company Crown Agents, the results of which were approved by the Ministry of Health of Ukraine, the supplier of OST drug at the expense of the state budget in 2016 in the amount of 13 million UAH. will be Kharkiv enterprise “Health of the people”. The estimated date of delivery of the drug to the sites is expected in September this year.Also in 2017, 1,000 methadone courses will be procured at the expense of the PEPFAR.
– 9756 SMT courses will be procured at the expense of the state budget in 2017, for the total amount of 18.4 million UAH.
– presented experience of the “Kharkivska Alternatyva” NGO regarding the implementation of substitution maintenance therapy on the basis of a private clinic.
– Ukraine has filed an application to the Global Fund to Fight AIDS, Tuberculosis and Malaria for funding in 2018-2020. The application describes the activity of the Hotline on drug dependence and SMT issues. In this way, we will continue to protect the rights of people living with drug addiction and jointly improve the OST program in Ukraine.
The organizers were also given the opportunity to discuss urgent problems and prospects for improving OST programs, share experiences, especially in terms of alternative drug delivery by prescription and inpatient.