Implementation period: 01.07.2015-30.06.2018
Source of funding: ICF “Alliance for Public Health”, FOUNDATION OPEN SOCIETY INSTITUTE (FOSI)
Grant Amount: 75514,00 $
The purpose of the project
Reducing the negative consequences of the HIV / AIDS epidemic and drug dependence, improving the quality of life of people living with HIV and participants of SMT program, their relatives and loved ones, expanding access to SMT programs, and improving the quality of provision of medical and psychological assistance through the provision of an information through the telephone and online counseling on OST, injecting drug use, viral hepatitis and other related issues.
- clients of substitution maintenance therapy programs
- active drug users, including potential clients of OST programs from the circle of injecting drug users
- parents and relatives of SMT clients and IDUs, including activists of the all-Ukrainian movement of parents and relatives of IDUs/SMTs
- members of the multidisciplinary teams of SMT sites (narcologists, nurses, psychologists and case managers) and other medical staff ( infectious disease specialists, phthisiologists and doctors of other specialties involved in working with SMT clients)
- managers and specialists of NGOs working in the field of harm reduction and / or conducting medical and psychosocial support for SMT sites
- total population of the country
- law enforcement officers
- media and television representatives
Problems of the implementation of the program of substitution maintenance therapy in Ukraine are discrimination and violations of basic human rights by law enforcement agencies, imperfection, fragmentation and conservatism of the existing Ukrainian legislation about the implementation of OST programs and, as a result, the poor quality of provision of medical and social services and related problems in implementation of the program.
To solve problems we react to caller’s appeals (consultations provision and active intervention), which includes solving problems, through official appeals to national authorities such as the Cabinet of Ministers, the Ministry of Health, the Ministry of Internal Affairs, the General Prosecutor’s Office, Ombudsman of Ukraine, OST site coordinators and NGO leaders conducting medical and socio-psychological support of patients for OST projects, chief doctors of narcological clinics, health departments at oblast state administrations and other state bodies, till possible solution of the problem.
Site of the project: http://www.osthotline.in.ua
Facebook page: www.facebook.com/osthotline/